Children are vulnerable to issues between their parents but the assistance of a legal specialist can make it much easier to sort out any problems whilst safeguarding their best interests and happiness.
Our South Woodford based child law solicitors can offer an open, supportive environment and practical advice to help you work through a wide range of family issues.
Whatever your circumstances, whether you and your partner are currently separating, or you are having a disagreement about previously agreed childcare arrangements, we are confident that our child-centred approach can help you find a positive solution that works in the long-term.
Our children law expertise
Our service covers all legal issues relating to children, including:
- Voluntary arrangements about children upon relationship breakdown, such as:
- Where they will live (residence)
- How much time they will spend with each parent (contact)
- How much time they will spend with other members of the family, such as grandparents
- Child Maintenance Agreements and dealing with the Child Maintenance Service
- Child Arrangements Orders – if you cannot come to a voluntary agreement, we can help you apply to court for an independent decision
- Specific Issue Orders – to make decisions on specific questions about a child’s upbringing, for example, where they should go to school
- Prohibited Steps Orders – to prevent anyone with parental responsibility making a specific decision about a child, for example, to prevent your former partner taking your child abroad
- Special Guardianship Orders – to appoint a “special guardian” for a child, usually when the child cannot live with their birth parents
- Parental responsibility – the rights and responsibilities to make decisions about your child’s upbringing
- Adoption, surrogacy and artificial insemination
- Social services and care proceedings
Why choose Huggins Lewis Foskett’s child law solicitors in London?
We approach all family law matters involving children with sensitivity and compassion. Every family situation is unique so we will carefully tailor our advice to suit your individual situation, keeping your parental rights and wishes and the best interests of your child at heart at all times.
We are firm believers that parents are ultimately best placed to make decisions about their child’s upbringing and living arrangements wherever possible. Therefore, where appropriate, we always aim to help parents navigate difficult questions amicably to come to a mutual agreement about arrangements for children.
As a firm, we are members of the Law Society’s Family Law Advanced Accreditation Scheme for our experience handling complex family law cases, including matters involving children.
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Our experienced family law team includes members of Resolution, an organisation of legal professionals who promote the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) methods such as mediation and collaborative law over costly and stressful court proceedings.
Saika Alam, the head of our family law department, is a qualified collaborative lawyer. Collaborative law involves attending a series of round table meetings with your former partner and your respective collaborative lawyers to discuss the issues affecting your family.
Saika’s role will be to provide you with legal advice and help you navigate the process whilst defusing conflict wherever possible. The desired result will be a harmonious, durable agreement which we can make legally binding by applying to court for a Consent Order.
Collaborative law is an increasingly popular method of ADR for its strong track record of helping families find solutions without negatively impacting on the welfare of the children involved. The process tends to be faster and cheaper than court proceedings. It can also be a lot less stressful, for you as well as your child.
Our child law fees
We understand that this might be a financially uncertain time for you, particularly if you are going through divorce, dissolution or separation proceedings. We aim to keep our fees clear and transparent so you can stay fully in control of your legal spend.
We will provide a fee quote at the beginning of your case along with an estimation of other costs you could expect to incur (such as court fees). Wherever possible, we will offer fixed fees, but depending on the complexity of the case, we may also offer competitive hourly rates. For an indication of our costs, please visit our Pricing page.
You can also visit our Funding Your Case page for more information about our flexible payment options.
Our London child law team